SWBAT build prior knowledge.
· the importance of context;
· how the author’s purpose impacts the text;
· how to ascertain the meaning of a word through the text;
· how authors use diction to create tone;
· the effective use of repetition;
· the effects and punctuation of appositives;
1. Finish history prior knowledge
2. Read/answer questions "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"
SWBAT access prior knowledge of Am History before reading
1. Use history index to review
2. Watch video about Jonathan Edwards & the Great Awakening
3. Start "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God"
SWBAT compare and contrast creation myths
1. Venn diagram due for points
2. 5 paragraph essay due Friday.
SWBAT recognize salient aspects of culture. (House on Mango Street)
SWBAT compare Native American creation myths with other creation stories.
1. Group activity about machismo
2. Read World on the Turtle's Back together
3. Make Venn diagram after reading other creation stories. Due Wed
4. Due Friday: in ink, 5 paragraph essay comparing/contrasting 2 myths
SWBAT culture and characterization in The House on Mango Street
Group activities on Machismo and name/identity
SWBAT use their best writing skills to synthesize ideas from various sources.
1. Share Article reaction and turn in
2. Watch both music videos
3. Write an essay using John 15:13, The Things They Carried/Fallen Angles, article, music videos, and prior knowledge. Finish and submit today or Tuesday.
SWBAT read critically, write a summary, and express their reaction in writing.
1. Read and T4 article on Iraq war wounds.
2. Write a one page reaction.
SWBAT understand class expectations and will analyze and make connection with their summer reading assignments.
2. The Things They Carried, Big & Rich, and Vietnam war experiences
Homework: turn in Things Carried questions on Wed